Best Baby Car Seats to Ensure A Safe Ride With Your Bundle of Joy
Mother’s womb is the safest place on earth for a baby. When he arrives into the world, he is instantly exposed to a lot of threats. As a parent, it is natural for you to worry about the safety of the most vulnerable little person in your family. One of the most important things you can do to ensure his security is buying the best baby car seat.
The infant car seat is the safest and most secure way to carry your baby home from the hospital, and it comes handy in the subsequent trips you will take with your baby on board.
Buying a baby car seat for your little one is not only the most important thing you will do for your baby’s safety, but this will also put your decision making ability to a tough test.
With so many different car seat models in the market equipped with technology that has changed dynamically over the years, there are many things you need to consider before hitting the order button.
We know that as a new parent you have many other things that demand your attention, so we have created a list of questions that will make buying a car seat easier for you.
5 Questions You Must Ask Yourself Before Buying an Infant Car Seat
Is it easy to use?
Many parents look for the safest car seat but they miss out the ease of use factor due to which nearly 90% of the car seats in the US are misused leading to fatal consequences. So, make sure you buy a car seat that works smoothly and offers hassle free mechanics. You should be able to take baby in and out of the car conveniently, tighten the harness with ease and buckle up your baby without much effort.
Does it fit your baby’s size?
This is an important factor because your baby’s size will determine how well she fits into the car seat. There are models with varying size limits, with some starting with as low as 4 pounds to a maximum limit of 35 pounds and may be even more. If you are expecting twins then you are most likely to have preemies so you may need to look for seats that offer special inserts for smaller babies.
Is it compatible with your vehicle?
Compatibility issues between infant car seats and vehicles are common so make sure you consult your automaker to check which car seat would fit your car. Smaller cars often do not have enough space to accommodate an infant care seat with a deep design.
Is it easy to install?
In 4 out of 5 cases of car accidents or crashes wherein children sustained injuries, the reason was the car seat not installed property. Check whether the manual has easy instructions and if there’s any support available online to help you with the installation process. If you are not entirely sure, seek help from a professional.
Is it comfortable?
Your baby will spend some precious time in this seat as he takes trips to grandmother’s house or to the nearby shopping mall. So, make sure the car seat is made from soft and comfortable fabric that keeps him snug and happy.
With so many car seat models equipped with a plethora of features claiming to provide the safest ride for your baby, it is easy for you to get confused. We have handpicked the top 5 best baby car seats to help you cut the confusion and make the right choice.
|Graco SnugRide Click Connect 35 Infant Car Seat, Gotham||$$||4.5/5|
|Graco Contender 65 Convertible Car Seat||$$||4.5/5|
|Chicco Keyfit 30 Infant Car Seat and Base, Lilla||$$||4.6/5|
|UPPAbaby MESA Infant Car Seat, Taylor||$$$||4.5/5|
|Evenflo Embrace LX Infant Car Seat, Raleigh||$||4.3/5|
|Baby Trend Flex-Loc Infant Car Seat, Carbon||$||4/5|
|Evenflo LiteMax 35 Infant Car Seat, Riverstone||$||4.6/5|
|Maxi-Cosi Mico Max 30 Infant Car Seat, Devoted Black||$$$||4.2/5|
|Disney Light ‘n Comfy Luxe Infant Car Seat, Minnie Dot||$||4.3/5|
|Baby Jogger 2016 City Go Infant Car Seat, Black||$$||4.1/5|
Graco SnugRide Click Connect 35 Infant Car Seat
This is an ultra-lightweight car seat that promises to make your life as a parent a little easier by helping you with easy transport of your baby.
This rear facing infant car seat can accommodate babies weighing from 4 pounds to a maximum of 35 pounds. You can use the car seat until your baby reaches the maximum 32 inches height limit.
The product has been crash tested to meet or exceed the safety standards set by FMVSS 213. So, you can enjoy peace of mind knowing that your baby is equipped with enhanced protection while you are on the road.
The intelligent Click Connect system allows you to securely attach the rear facing car seat to compatible strollers by Graco to give you a complete travel system. When you hear the ‘click’ sound, it indicates that the car seat has been properly installed.
- Weight range 4 – 35 pounds
- 32 inches height limit
- Ultra lightweight
- One-step secure attachment
- 5-point harness system
- It comes with newborn head support to offer cushioning and support for baby’s delicate head.
- The energy absorbing foam offers advanced support and effective impact energy management in the event of a crash.
- The car seat can be detached from the base to be used as a carrier or attached to a compatible stroller to help you carry your baby around in style.
- The Click Connect 35 comes with a 5-point harness system that can be adjusted from the front to make it convenient for you totake the little one in and out of the car seat.
- The rotating canopy that comes with the baby car seat offers much needed sun protection and shade for your precious darling when she’s outdoors.
- The seat cover, cushion and canopy can be machine washed.
- The LATCH system is not easy to use for first time parents.
- Baby tends to get uncomfortable and sweaty in the car.
The SnugRide Click Connect 35 is part of the top line of infant car seats offered by Graco. It includes all the advanced features and modern technology you want to ensure you baby’s optimum security. Although the installation part is not very easy, it’s not highly complicated either. It might take some time for new parents to get used to the system. If you are confident to master the installation part, this is a good car seat for your baby.
Graco Contender 65 Convertible Car Seat
This is yet another super comfortable and advanced baby car seat by Graco. However, this is a convertible car seat which means you can use it rear facing when you baby is within the 5 – 40 pounds weight range.
When your baby grows you don’t need to get a new seat because the Contender 65 can be ‘converted’ to a forward facing seat that can accommodate a toddler weighing 20 to 65 pounds. So, it’s like having two seats in one and it lasts for longer, until your child reaches the age when he needs a booster seat.
The Contender 65 passes the safety parameter as it has beenthoughtfully engineered and crash tested to meet or exceed the standards set by FMVSS 213. It comes with an 8-position adjustable headrest that can be easily adjusted to meet the changing requirements of your growing baby. You can adjust the settings with just one hand.
- 5-point easily adjustable harness
- Weighs 15.2 pounds
- Measures 22 x 18.5 x 23.5 inches
- Machine-washable seat cushion
- Can be used as rear-facing and front-facing
- Easy to use
- It comes with removable head and body support to fit your baby snugly and keep him comfortable on all trips.
- When a baby grows, the head and body support can be removed to make more space.
- The Simply Safe Adjust Harness System allows you to adjust the height and fit of the car seat with just one hand, hence it scores high in terms of usability.
- There’s a well-placed cup holder within easy reach for you baby to enjoy a drink when he’s thirsty.
- The easy-to-read level indicator provides the assurance you need to properly install the car seat in rear facing position.
- The model is LATCH equipped which makes the installation more secure.
- The head support slides up and down.
- It is heavier than a rear-facing only seat.
- Installation system is not easy for first time parents or those who use multiple cars for transport.
While the convertible baby car seat works like a 2-in-1 carrier, first time parents may find the installation process a bit tricky and time consuming. If ease of installation is your first priority and you are too hard pressed for time to install a car seat with a complex system then this product is not for you.
Chicco Keyfit Infant Car Seat and Base with Car Seat
The Keyfit Infant Car Seat comes from Chicco, a trusted brand that makes baby gear, toys, car seats, strollers, and travel systems. This ergonomically designed baby car seat is one of the bestselling products by Chicco. It fits all types of vehicles and snugly fits your baby to provide enhanced protection and comfort.
New parents are highly concerned for their baby’s safety and at the same time they want a car seat that can be installed easily without much hassle.
The Chicco Keyfit Infant Car Seat fits the bill and gives you the number one rated model which can be securely and accurately installed every time. Hence it takes the guesswork out of the installation process and eliminates the risk factor.
- 5-point harness
- Full body inserts for smaller babies
- Spring-assisted level foot
- Measures 27 x 17 x 22.5 inches
- Weighs 15 pounds
- Accommodates babies weighing 4 to 30 pounds
- The LATCH system can be tightened with just one pull which makes a parent’s life a little easier.
- There are bubble level-indicators present on both sides of the base to indicate when the accurate seat angle is achieved.
- The adjustable and multi-position canopy offers protection from sun and other outside elements.
- The car seat is compatible with several strollers manufactured by Chicco.
- It comes with a smooth base which protects the vehicle seat from any damage.
- It has an easy to use carry handle to comfortably transport your baby from one place to another without hurting your arm.
- The canopy covers partially and cannot be stretched out too much.
- If your baby was born big then he will soon outgrow the 30 pounds weight limit.
We give Chicco Keyfit Infant Car Seat full marks for ease of installation. It just takes a few minutes and less effort to securely tighten the belts and other attachments to ensure your baby is well protected. However, if your baby was born with an above average weight then the car seat will not be able to accommodate him after a few months of use.
UPPAbaby MESA Infant Car Seat
This stylish and light weight MESA infant car seat by UPPAbaby has everything it takes to be a parent’s first choice. The innovative design and intelligent features make this model stand way ahead in competition.
While the baby car seat comes with numerous impressive features, we love the smart visual indicator that turns red to green when the installation is done correctly. It ensures that the car seat is installed accurately and easily every time.
Features like built-in side impact protection, no-rethread harness and auto-retracting LATCH connectors make it simpler for parents to travel with their baby on board.
- Weighs 25.1 pounds
- Measures 17 x 17.5 x 31 inches
- Accommodates babies weighing 4-35 pounds
- Suitable for babies with maximum height of 32″
- Simple and easy installation
- Made from high quality and durable materials
- The LATCH system is simple to figure out and the installation process is super easy.
- It is compatible with CRUZ and VISTA strollers so you have a complete travel system to take your baby with you on every car trip.
- It has a comfortable headrest and side protection to keep your baby safe in the event of a crash.
- The SMART Secure System helps you install the seat accurately and securely buckle up your baby for enhanced protection.
- The infant car seat is made from breathable and skin friendly fabric to make your baby feel comfortable and safe during a ride.
- It comes with a foldable canopy to protect your baby from the sun and other outdoor elements.
- The car seat is slightly on the heavier side.
- It is expensive than competitor products available in the market.
The brand UPPAbaby speaks for itself and after reviewing the MESA Infant Car Seat we are convinced that it meets the expectations we have from the brand. If you are looking for a highly secure travel system for your baby and don’t mind a slightly heavy price tag then this makes a good buy!
Evenflo Embrace LX Infant Car Seat
The Embrace LX Infant Car Seat comes from the Evenflo stable, a company that has years of experience and expertise in making baby car seats, carriers, booster seats and strollers.
Tests have confirmed that the car seat is comparatively lighter than other infant car seats available in the market. So, it offers convenience for a new mom to carry her baby around without hurting her arm.
The 3 shoulder harness positions offer a snug fit for your baby. It also lasts for really long so you can get good value for your money. The separate and detachable car seat base means you can take the carrier in and out of the vehicle without disturbing a slumbering baby.
- Lightweight design
- Detachable stay-in-car base
- 2X federal crash test standard
- Weighs 13 pounds
- Measures 26 x 18 x 23 inches
- It comes with a stay-in-car base whichmakes taking the carrier in and out of the car super easy.
- The car seat pads, covers and cushions are machine washable.
- The visual indicator assures you of a proper and accurate installation.
- There are 8 different hole positions that can be adjusted as per yours and your baby’s needs.
- The extra head pillow provides additional support for smaller babies.
- It is two times safer than standards accepted in the federal crash test.
- Fabric used may irritate baby’s skin.
- Short 90 day warranty period.
If you are looking for a highly portable carrier to take your baby safely with you on car trips the Evenflo Embrace LX can fit the bill. However, the fabric used for making the seat cover and cushions may irritate baby’s skin so contact the customer support immediately if you notice rashes on your baby. It has a short warranty period so you need to act fast or your will be left with a product you can’t use. If it suits your baby then you have a great car seat at an affordable price!
As new parents, it is understandable that you are highly concerned for your baby’s safety so spend some time weighing the various pros and cons of each product before making the final choice. While the Graco Contender 65 is a good value convertible seat that can be used for up to 7 years until your baby needs a booster seat, you may have to comprise with your convenience becauseconvertibles are heavier and not as easy to take in and out of the car.
Our personal favorite is the UPPAbaby MESA Infant Car Seat which may be slightly expensive but worth it when your baby’s safety is concerned. The product has innovative features and smart locking mechanism that makes it stand out. It can also be installed with great ease.
We hope our reviews take the confusion out of your decision making and help you get the best baby car seat for your precious little darling.